OK, I'll be honest - we didn’t quite make the “early” part of the new schedule – I guess we might have to get the “early to bed” part of the equation down first. We went for a morning walk that turned into a 2 mile hike down to and along the Eel River, where we found the longest rope swing that any of us had ever seen – so of course everyone had to take several turns – and the boys all ended up in the swimming hole in their boxers. The afternoon found us meandering along the 31 mile Avenue of the Giants – with amazing scenery on all sides. In Humbolt State Park, we stopped on a short hike to see several sequoias that are taller than the Empire State Building – pretty awesome. In between all the cries of “ooh look at that” and “wow, that’s so beautiful,” the kids still managed to get caught up on their schoolwork on the drive (for the most part, right Mason?). The weather is already so much cooler - the coast I guess. After a Home Depot stop in Crescent City for a few “repair” items, we started the long haul up the coast to Lakeside - North on Hwy 101 into Oregon – a stretch that none of us have ever seen. I have decided that I really don’t like narrow winding roads in this vehicle! Greg has decided that he does not like narrow winding roads when I am in the vehicle – I guess my constant gasps around the turns are grating on his nerves. I did make the first slow cooker meal of the trip (pulled pork w/ BBQ sauce on rolls), cooked and served all while on the road. It was a big hit - except for the part when Greg realized that I intended to keep the generator on for 6 hours while driving so I could plug in the crock pot. Of course he is already figuring out some sort of adapter plug so I can run it off the battery instead. I expected no less. Greg has been a great captain and I have successfully managed to avoid driving so far.





your pictures are amazing! i look forward to checking in to see what you guys are doing each day (you ARE going to post every day, right?) :)
ReplyDeleteand, you're turning into an RV gourmet! i'm impressed.
as for the winding roads... take it from someone who knows: dramamine. otherwise, you'll be mocked by a certain someone (name rhymes with "leg") FOREVER.
I feel like I'm on the road with you. Great pictures, great blogging. Yes, either take dramamine or put a pillow over your face and scream the whole way!!!! Or, take I-5!!! The road isn't too bad if your in a Porsche!
ReplyDeleteThe rope swing looks like so much fun. I think the kid's are learning more already than any academics could teach them, although I know their teachers wouldn't think so.
Keep up the great blog and blessings to all.
WE LOVE "BEING WITH YOU". Kaele, your prose and pictures are AWESOME. I can only imagine the amazing collection your are amassing. What a wonderful, once in a life-time adventure. What a marvelous education for your kids - and all of them tuned in to get the most out of it. Greg looks pretty svelte on the rope swing... and you all look happy and healthy. Keep it coming... your blog is now part of our morning regime. Oh.. and I have to say we smile when we see the time on the posting.
ReplyDeleteLove you guys more than all the redwood trees.
Dad
I did that crazy winding drive through the Redwoods in Northern California. I thought it would never end. I can't imagine doing it in a big motor home. The car was bad enough.
ReplyDelete